Friday, November 10, 2006

THIS MUCH sick of being misunderstood

SI has come up a few times in conversations with my classmates-one woman recently suggested that it was all media based, that the media is giving people ideas. Someone else confused self injury with cutting and treated the issue as though all people who SI were hoping to leave scars so that someone would notice them. A few other near and dear issues have been mentioned as well; the failures of cps and long term effects of childhood abuse.
What do I do when this happens?
I pretend to have researched it merely for term paper purposes and explain as politely as possible why their info is bad.
It's annoying. Next time it happens I'm just coming out with something to the effect of, "really, I began to SI when I was about 11 and I never saw any media on it and I have no scars and I told no one." Damnit. It would serve them right for buying into a crapline and doing poor research.
I've actually began to consider moving towards advocacy when I find myself in those situations. At least it would be a productive means of shoveling emotional shit. And if it drove someone off they wouldn't be much worth hanging around with anyway.

1 Comments:

Blogger Spilling Ink said...

Oh, Jen. I know how you feel. I have a problem, too. I so understand, that I have never even dared to write about it on my blog because I was afraid of what people would think. Why can I describe a flashback, a rape and other things, but dare not speak of this? I felt like I was taking a huge enough chance with what I wrote in 'Body Memories'. Sometimes I get terrified that if people knew these sorts of details that they would say the kinds of things you have just had to put up with hearing. I'm sorry that you had to deal with this. I know it's none of those reasons. I understand, Jen.

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home